Sunday, September 15, 2019

Dr. Col Lector - Doctor of Optometry


Hello!! I'd like to introduce Dr. Col Lector aka Collector. This is the 2nd of 3 projects made for Tim Holtz's amazing Halloween Idea-Ology release. The eyeballs were the inspiration for this project. As I sat with them I thought of a traveling salesman's kit. Then as I was reading all of the type tokens my backstory took a spooky turn when I came across the "Found Objects" token.
Dr. Col Lector is an optometrist but just how reputable is he? His case of found objects leaves many questioning where he finds his inventory. 



 



The base of this piece is a Vignette Box covered with paper from the Abandoned Paper Stash. The top of the box features the Cigar Box from the Layers and Baseboards Frames. The Poison label came from the same package. The Poison label was messy stitched onto the piece of Abandoned paper before adhering to the box. 



Any good salesman's case needs a handle for easy traveling. I adhered a Mini Hardware Pull to the side of the Trinket Tin using Distress Collage Medium and layered the Pull with Hardware Heads. Before adhering the Pull I wrapped it with Craft Thread distressed with Walnut Stain Distress Crayon. Once the handle was dry I added the Found Objects Quote Token on a Loop Pin. 


To finish off the open corner of the box I added an Apothecary Vial, Alpha Dice, and vintage lens. 


This artificial eye chart also from the Layers and Baseboards Frame set was perfect for our devious doctor. The eye chart is layered behind a Baseboard Frame that has been sanded and distressed. I added Hardware Heads to the corners. The bottom of the frame is adorned with a Toxique label and that creepy White the Druggist eye was perfect for the top. 

This particular Paper Doll had just the right amount of creep. He holds his favorite tool a spoon from the Silverware Adornments. 



The doctor's fine inventory on display. As you can see he has had some business and will need to restock soon. 


The calling card is fashioned from a piece of wide vintage velvet ribbon. The doctor's info was created using a label and words from the Curiosities Sticker Book. I have to say the Sticker Book was one of my favorite things from this release. 

I added a border of messy stitching not shown here before adhering the calling card inside the case. 


Here is a peek at how I made the dividers for the case. I began by cutting chipboard to length to fit the tin. I cut two longer pieces to run horizontally and three smaller pieces to run vertically. After measuring where they would intersect I cut small notches in the chipboard. I then covered all the pieces with the same vintage ribbon used to make the calling card. After the glue had dried I went back and snipped the ribbon where the slits had been cut in the chipboard. I then assembled the dividers and inserted into the case. 



I love how just a little bit of Alcohol Ink can up the spooky factor of these eyes. I used a very fine paintbrush and Watermelon and Latte Alcohol Ink to add veins to the eyes. 




The backside of the piece follows thru with an eye chart and Apothecary Vial. The lid to the Trinket Tin was distressed with Mushroom Alcohol Ink and then layered with a label from the Halloween Ephemera pack and a Quote Chip. 


I hope you enjoyed this walk-thru of the project and peek into the background story I had in mind while creating this piece. 

All I know is I sure wouldn't want to find myself in a dark alley with Dr. Col Lector.

Happy Creating ~ Jennalee 

3 comments: