Friday, June 21, 2019

Steampunk Seamstress

Hello and happy Friday!! It's Jennalee here today. Today I am sharing my last project as a team member with Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts. I've been with the team for 2 years and am so thankful to Gina for allowing me to be part of it all!! For my last project, I thought I would use one of my favorite chipboard pieces the Santos Doll. Although for this project I used just the cage skirt. 


Fun Vintage Sewing Measurement Guide Mannequin Graphic!

This project was inspired by this amazing graphic from The Graphics Fairy . I instantly thought of a Steampunk Mannequin. 


I sized the mannequin down in Publisher and printed onto Ranger Sticky Back Canvas. The canvas provides the perfect texture reminiscent of a vintage dress form. I colored the image using Distress Markers. To achieve the subtle coloring I outlined around the edges and lines and then blended towards the middle with a water brush. And what Steampunk Seamstress would be complete without her wind up key? 


To add the haberdashery detail to her stash I stamped a ruler along a length of seam binding.



I tied the sash around her waist and added a pair of scissors dangling from a decorative chain. 






Of course, the cage skirt needed to be rusted. I was trying to mix a few techniques here that went awry. But instead of tossing the project I decided to embrace the extra crustiness of it. I wanted the skirt to have a more cage-like feel so dyed some skinny satin ribbon with Walnut Crystal Ink and then wrapped it around the Santos Doll


And how else would a Steampunk Seamstress get around? She needed wheels. Tim Holtz Mini Pulleys made the perfect wheels. Before attaching the Pulleys I distressed them using Mushroom Alcohol Ink. Using a Drill Punch I poked holes for the screws of the Mini Pulleys to go thru and attached them before assembling the skirt. 


The Steampunk Seamstress is ready to begin her adventures in sewing. I had a lot of fun with this project and feel it was a great way to finish my time with the team at Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts. 
Thank you for following along with me. I'll be back with more projects soon!!
Happy Creating ~ Jennalee 

No comments:

Post a Comment