Friday, December 21, 2018

Steampunk Tree Topper

Hello and happy Friday!! Christmas is right around the corner so I am sneaking in one last Christmas project this week. At first glance, you wouldn't think Christmas but it is. My hubby started a small Steampunk tree for his man cave. We are still working on collecting ornaments but he requested a tree topper. I got to thinking about the Skeleton Clocks from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts and knew they would make a perfect base!! I pulled out my embossing powders and heat gun and got to work. 




Here are the pieces I started out with from top left ATC CoinPhoto Reels MiniaturesGears Shape SetClock Hands Shape Set, Skeleton Clock.

  
Heat emboss clock and inner ring. I covered the whole clock using Charred Gold and heat set. Then went back and added Oil Rubbed Bronze to the numbers. The inner ring was embossed with Oil Rubbed Bronze. Not pictured is the smaller inner clock that I embossed in Charred Gold. 


For the clock hands I used Burnt Copper Leaves with a few sprinkle of Ancient Amber.


The gears are done in Oil Rubbed Bronze, Burnt Copper Leaves and Ancient Amber. 


I covered the ATC Coin with a piece of aluminum tape that had been embossed and colored with alcohol inks. 


Once I started constructing my clock I realized I needed a layer for the back to hold the 2 clock faces and inner ring together. This Trellis Frame was the perfect size. I painted both front and back black.

At this point, I fit all of the two clocks into each other and added the ATC coin in the center of the smaller clock. I adhered the layers together and backed them with the Trellis Frame. I got so caught up in the flow I forgot to take a picture. 


I used a paper mache cone that I had in my stash to attach to the back of the clock and serve as the tree topper. 





I layered the gears on top of the ATC Coin until I was happy with the configuration. The Photo Reel was embossed with Charred Gold and adhered on top of the Gears. I used a clock key that I found in the jewelry section of Michael's and poked it thru the Clock Hands and Photo Reel.



The clock hands are set at 10:04 as a tribute to Back to the Future as requested by the hubby. I really enjoyed this fairly simple project. If you love heat embossing then you will definitely enjoy it as well. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! ~ Jennalee

1 comment:

  1. Way way way cool... NO other like it for sure. Love the 10:04 too... Made me crack up.

    ReplyDelete