Friday, April 20, 2018

Santos Doll

Hello!! Happy Friday, I'm here today with a Santos Doll. I am so excited to share this project with you. With a few different mediums, this Santos really comes to life!!





To begin paint all skirt pieces front and back with brown paint. Once dry assemble skirt. 





Once the glue has dried rust the skirt with Rusting Powder from PaperArtsy. Cover piece with Distress Collage Medium and sprinkle on Rusting Powder. Spray with vinegar and set aside. (I forgot to take a pic of the rusting in action)


While skirt dries paint doll body with gesso. I only painted the front. The back I inked up with Frayed Burlap Distress ink. 



For the face and hands (sorry forgot a pic again) I painted them a peach skin tone. Once dry using a palette knife I added a layer of Distress Crazing Medium. Allow to air dry. For the body and arms mix Opaque Crackle Texture Paste with Bundled Sage Distress Ink. Add to body with palette knife. Allow to air dry. 


I chose not to do a face on my doll because I can't draw, period. And I may have gone a bit crackle crazy, but I wanted my doll to have a very worn look like she had just been dug up. 

Using a craft knife I remove a few areas of medium. To add an extra grungy look rub Artisan Powder and Vintage Photo Distress Crayon into the cracks. The hairline was drawn on with Walnut Stain Distress Crayon.


The arms are one of my favorite details. I originally planned to use brads but they didn't hang quite the way I envisioned so I decided to use thread. 

Using Vintage Photo Distress Crayon color Tim' Holtz's Craft Thread. With a baby wipe run thread thru wipe and then randomly apply Distress Crayon to length of thread. This adds the perfect amount of grunginess. With needle thread thru arms and tie off. Attach arms to body same way. 


To finish off your Santos Doll drape her with your choice of jewelry. 


I used a variety of pieces from Tim Holtz's Assemblage line as well as an Idea-ology Philosophy tag. The medal came from my stash and was the perfect adornment. 

Here you can see some of the wonderful rust effect. I added highlights using Cracked Pistachio Distress Crayon. 


I really enjoyed watching this piece come together and am already planning my next one possibly for my mom, but shhh don't tell. I hope I've inspired you to explore making your own Santos Doll. As always thanks for stopping by!! Happy Creating ~ Jennalee 






16 comments:

  1. This is fabulous, thanks for sharing the step by steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!! I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial!!

      Delete
  2. She's so BEAUTIFUL, Jennalee! Love her and all her crackle glory, at first I thought the bottom of her dress was a vintage scrap from something, it looks REALLY old! Her jewels and bling and the crown on top of her head just tops it all off perfectly! Great job!!! ~ Stacy♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to make one. Yours is fabulous...love the crackle!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Anita!! You should give a try it was a fun project with lots of fun processes.

      Delete
  4. This came out fantastic. I love the crackle too, and all the vintage beads. Great craft project. (I added a link to this post in the "How To Craft Projects" link section on my blog so I can find your example again.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I was worried I went crackle crazy so I'm happy to hear I'm not alone in my love of crackle!!

      Delete
  5. That crackle is divine!! Love this doll so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bunches Cathy!! Can never go wrong with some good crackle right?

      Delete
  6. This is amazing. Your tutorial was outstanding. I could follow the process completely. I live how the doll turned out. Stunning IS the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rosetta!! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed the tutorial. I always worry that I skip things!!

      Delete
  7. Jennalee, your Santos doll is stunning, I love everything about it and I really enjoyed seeing how you put it together. I think the thread on the arm joints give her a lovely rustic feel! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Anne!! The thread on the arms was one of those aha moments and one of my fave details!!

      Delete
  8. These are wonderful! Need to try with the help of your tutorial. They turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete