Friday, November 17, 2017

Dear Santa Christmas Village

Hello!! Can you believe it's already that time of year? I love decorating for Christmas!! It's always fun to add a new handmade piece to my collection each year. The theme for my mantle this year is Dear Santa. I love postal ephemera and mail art and love to collect vintage postcards which were the basis for this idea. The Cabana Row Houses are the perfect size and base to build a vintage-inspired Christmas village.






The Cabana Row Houses come flat. They are already scored and easy to fold. I started out by making copies of vintage postcards from my collection. I cut them to size and ran them thru my Xyron. For the gables of the houses, I used scrapbook paper, again cut to size and run thru the Xyron. I did the same for the roofs (not pictured). For the roofs be sure to remember that the bottom side will also be visible so they will need to be covered as well. 


After assembling the houses I added additional pieces of ephemera to each. And my favorite detail snowy rooftops!! For the snow I added Texture Paste to the ridge of the roof with a palette knife. While the Texture Paste was still wet I sprinkled Rock Candy glitter on the paste. Set aside and let air dry. 





I cut a base for each house out of chipboard and attached the houses and trees with Distress Collage Medium. Once dry I added snow using the same technique as used on the rooftops. 



I added a couple reindeer from Tim Holtz's Christmas line of Idea-ology. To color my deer I started with a base of Tarnished Brass Distress Paint and allowed to air dry. Once dry I added some Mushroom Alcohol Ink with a paint brush. 


For the Santa also from Tim Holtz's Christmas line of Idea-ology I painted his suit with some red acrylic paint. Once the paint was dry I added depth to all the white details using Mushroom Alcohol Ink and a paint brush. Adding the Alcohol Ink really makes all the details in his face and beard pop. 






I am so excited to decorate for Christmas and display my new little village!! Thanks so much for stopping by. Happy Creating~ Jennalee 




7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Jennalee...so, so sweet!!! I want to make a village next!!! ❤️❤️❤️🎄These are SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much Stacy!! Oh I would love to see your take on a village!!

      Delete
  2. Jennalee, this is so awesome! I love it and the details....you did great on this one!
    Thank you for sharing...Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Karen!! It's great to hear that you enjoy the tutorials!!

      Delete
  3. This village is adorable Jennalee! LOVE the way you've used the mix of papers and ephemera on them with the glittered snow xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jenny!! I am a bit obsessed with the glittered snow. I'll be sad when I can no longer sneak it in!!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete